Otakon 2014 AMV Contest
AMV Quick Links:
AMV Front Page | Submit via CD/DVD | Submit via FTP
- Each entrant is allowed to submit one (1) submission to the OTAKON® AMV Contest. Users found creating multiple studios with the intent of circumventing the submission limit will have all of their entries disqualified.
- If you are submitting a solo project but also want collaboration credit on someone else's video, or if you were a part of multiple collaborations, please contact VicBond007@VicBond007.net for details on how to do this.
- We will only accept entries that are sent to us through our own FTP server, or through the mail. We will not download your entry for you from your rapidshare/sendspace/whatever, nor will we accept entries sent by E-mail/AIM/MSN etc.
- Do not include studio bumpers or video credits. Any lead-in/lead-out that we cannot remove could be grounds for disqualification.
- We create custom, uniform title cards for every entry, finalist or not. Adding bumpers/credits on top of that just uses more screen time than is necessary.
- Your entry must be primarily anime and/or video game footage. The exception to this rule is a live-action adaptation of an anime or video-game, intended for television broadcast or release to movie theaters. Such live-action adaptations will be accepted without penalty.
- "Anime" footage is loosely determined by the animation studio that produced the art for the show. If it is an Asian studio, then the footage will likely be allowed. If it is not, then your entry could be disqualified. Sorry, but by this definition, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" are not "anime" and will be disqualified. We have to draw the line somewhere.
- Your entry should not contain unaltered video, taken from your audio source's official music video or trailer.
- If we play your AMV side-by-side against your song's official music video/trailer, and there are sequences where both videos are identical (or even nearly identical), then your video may be disqualified at the director's discretion.
- Your entry's audio must be primarily music. Excessive narration/dialog may be grounds for disqualification.
- This rule does not apply to entries that are sent to the "Trailer/Parody" category.
- Your entry may not contain any audio taken from a commercial English dub. Dialog that you record yourself is perfectly fine.
- Your entry may not contain any commercial studio logos or TV station watermarks, only parodies of said logos. This includes DivX and website watermarks.
- Including a TV station watermark on your footage, even for just one scene, is the easiest way to get yourself DISQUALIFIED really fast.
- Trademarks and logos that have been modified are also NOT OK. If you wish to parody a logo, you cannot use the original logo as a base.
- Submissions to the "Trailer/Parody" category which contain the popular green approval screen beforehand may NOT contain any mention of the MPAA.
- Your entry will be disqualified if your footage contains visible subtitles or karaoke lyrics that you did not add yourself.
- Your entry must be longer than 30 seconds in running time. There is no maximum length.
- Entries that are over 6 minutes in length and do not make the final contest, will only be screened if we have the time to do so.
- Submissions with nudity, offensive language, and/or excessive violence may be disqualified at the coordinator's discretion.
- The contest screening will be open to the general public, and thus the content must be appropriate for the general public. Disqualified entries will very likely not be screened at the OTAKON® convention.
- Convention attendance is not required to enter. Attending the convention will not boost your chances of winning and/or making the final cut.
- The checkbox on the submission form asking whether or not you will be attending is purely for informational purposes.
- Anti-Trolling Policy: If your entry has won a major categorical award, First Place or Best in Show at any convention that has screened their contest before June 12th 2014, then your entry will be automatically be entered into the OTAKON® AMV Contest as a "non-finalist" (this is different than being disqualified!).
- Second Place, Runner-Up, Judge's Choice, etc. all DO NOT count and you may submit any entry that has won any of these awards without penalty.
- Entries that were featured in the final AMV contest at any previous OTAKON® convention will be disqualified.
- The OTAKON VEGAS® convention is not the same thing as the OTAKON® convention. This rule only applies to the OTAKON® convention.
- The better quality video that you send us, the better it will look. Visual anomalies from poor compression will be enlarged as our screen is bigger than your computer monitor.
- The OTAKON® 2014 AMV Contest will accept submissions from anyone except for OTAKON® staffers/gophers who participate in the ballot counting process.
- The AMV Contest Coordinator reserves the right to reject any video on any grounds.
Submit via VHS
- Deadline: Your submission must be received (not postmarked) by Sunday June 22, 2014. Entries received late will not be accepted into the OTAKON® 2014 AMV contest, nor will they be considered candidates for the AMV non-finalist screenings.
- OTAKON® accepts VHS, SVHS, SVHS-ET, and mini DV entries.
- Entries submitted on tape must be in the NTSC format. We can not accept PAL format tapes at this time.
- Entries must be recorded at SP speed. Anything else will look terrible.
- You must fill out a submission form for your entry. Access the submission form here. You may include a printed copy of the form or the confirmation email that you received after filling it out, but it is not necessary.
- Please label the spine of your tape with the following information:
- Your video title.
- Your studio name. This MUST match the studio name that you provided us with on your submission form.
- Tape format (VHS, SVHS, or SVHS-ET).
- Please include at least 15 seconds of black leader before your first video starts in order to prevent the "rainbow effect" from appearing in your video, and to give our equipment time to adjust the tracking. Black leader is ONLY required for entries on tape!
- Please ensure that the only video on your tape is the one that you intend to submit.
- After you have filled out the submission form, please mail your tape to the following address:
Otakon AMV Contest
PO Box 354
Sicklerville, NJ 08081
- Submitted tapes can not be returned.
- The OTAKON® AMV staff and Otakorp, Inc. are not responsible for lost or damaged media. We will do our best to notify you when your entry is received. However, we cannot guarantee confirmation before the submission deadline. If you wish to ensure confirmation, ship your tape with delivery confirmation.