Welcome to the Otacafe at Otakon 2013!
Come decompress at the Otacafe, where you can hang out or perform. It's all up to you. The stage will be open most of the day for casual performances, including some crowd favorite karaoke. We'll have tables provided for mingling and eating (but not dancing). Please look to the pocket guide for scheduled events, or just drop in and see what's happening.
Room 301-303 (That's all the way at the Charles Street end of the BCC)
11:00 AM to Midnight on Friday
10:00 AM to Midnight on Saturday
9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Sunday
- You may sign up to sing only once at a time. This means that, until you sing, you cannot sign up to sing again. This includes singing as a group with your friends: if you were signed up to sing when your friends signed up to sing, you /cannot/ go with them. Other people are patiently waiting their turn to sing, you can do it too.
- We want to hear you sing, and while we would love to stay open until everybody has gone on stage, the BCC does close, and we do need sleep. We will try to fit in as many people as possible, however because of the volume of singers we have had in the past, sign-ups will end at 10:30 PM on Friday, 10:00 PM Saturday, and at 12:30 PM on Sunday.
- The Otacafe is as much a place to socialize as it is to come and sing, however chatter while people are singing is very impolite to the singers, so we would like to request that, when people are singing, you try to keep your voices down to a normal conversational level (i.e. no shouting, shrieking, etc.) and you restrict all talk to the area with the tables in the back of the Otacafe. If you are sitting in the audience seats, we would appreciate it if you would respect the singers and not speak at all during a performance.
- During an event, Open Mic Karaoke will be put on hold, and your spot in line will be saved until the event is over. We recognize that this may cause conflicts with other events that you may wish to attend, but we cannot hold your spot for you, so we strongly encourage you to look carefully at the schedule when you decide whether or not to sign up to sing, and inquire at the sign-up desk about the expected wait time.
- While we do allow English versions of songs from anime, we ask that you refrain from requesting to sing American/European popular music or rock. In other words: if it's not in Japanese and it's not from anime or a Japanese video game, it's not allowed.